IK Multimedia's iRig Pro I/O

IK Multimedia's iRig Acoustic Stagem
“Almost all people are hypnotics.
The proper authority saw to it that the proper belief should be induced and the people believed properly.”
— Charles Hoy Fort

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Timeless wisdom - quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson

Still stuck on the thoughts of Mr. Emerson, (1803 - 1882), in an attempt to try and get out of writer's block mode for a web copy gig, I assembled this list of quotes that are pertinent to our current situation. I suppose that since these are well over a century old it means that things, and people, will never change, but it's good food for thought nonetheless.

For our frightening political situation, and the people's typical and inexplicable reaction to it...

  • When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson - Journals, 1824

  • The imbecility of men is always inviting the impudence of power.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pertaining to the decision by America's hoodwinked people to support the traitorous trashing of our Bill of Rights, the construction of 138 detention centers and the support of CIA and military torture, the loss of our freedom of speech, the complicity of corporate news, and oh, could I go on and on...

  • I do not see how a barbarous community and a civilized community can constitute a state. I think we must get rid of slavery or we must get rid of freedom.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson - The Assault upon Mr. Sumner's Speech

and, for the Dems, who have demonstrated that they aren't that much different than their competitors...

  • The less government we have the better.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

These next two apply to both our political horror and to forteana...

  • People only see what they are prepared to see.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

  • Skepticism is slow suicide.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

These three are pretty much for me, but may be applicable for you, too...

  • What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson, (attributed)

  • Every artist was first an amateur.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson - Progress of Culture, 1876

  • Always do what you are afraid to do.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

And for Ralph's thoughts on presenting quotes like this...

  • I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ha! I like that last one... 'tis important. These things do start one thinking, however, so there is some value in relaying them, especially in consideration of our well-trained population's 4-second attention span.

Happy trails,
Ig

1 comment:

A Strange Lad said...

Hey, Jim, it was really late and my brain was not up to snuff... since I greatly value your wisdom in these matters I will defer to you on the matter of Ralphie-boy's persona... but I still agree with what the guy said (even if he stole 'em) and how it relates to what I see today.

LOL "Carnivore," I love it... John Anthony is such a great guy... and best of all, he loves to start a ruckus!